The Medal of St. Benedict

As a novice oblate, I was given the Medal of Saint Benedict. The medal was blessed or consecrated with a prayer asking God to remember those who wear the medal with the intent of charity and faith, that He would grant them aid in conducting such charity, including health and strength and forgiveness of sins.

The medal is worn the same way and for similar reasons as we Orthodox Christians wear our baptismal crosses. It is a devotional act and a reminder to us that we set our minds on things above.  The medal, like the cross, is not merely a piece of fashion jewelry, and on the other hand, it is not a magical talisman or good-luck-charm. Neither of these are Christian attitudes.

A friend asked me "what? No cassock?" after my vows. I held up the medal and said: "this is my cassock." I think that's a pretty good way to think of it.  As with vestments, which are donned and worn with intent, which also signify to others something about the wearer, so the medal is put on and worn in humility and prayer, as a reminder of my vow, the Rule, and my intention to grow in faith toward God and fervent love toward my fellow man. As with my baptismal/chrismation cross, I wear it outside of my shirt because it's not something I wish to hide, but rather, to have in plain view where it will serve as a constant reminder.

Below is a description of the medal and its symbolism(click image for larger view):



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbearable Burden of Raising a Child with Down Syndrome

Israel, the Church, The New Israel, Replacement Theology, Judah, The People of God, and So On...

Christmas Conceptions and Nativity Notions