Psalm 114

I am filled with love,
for the Lord will hear the voice of my supplication.

Does this not immediately give peace to your heart? The Lord will hear us when we call to Him.There's never a time when He ignores us. Even if we feel that way, even if we are having a "dry time," God has not left us, and He has not stopped His ears to the sound of our prayer. Whatever the reason for the feeling of spiritual dryness, we can know for certain that He is faithful to His promise to never leave us nor forsake us. He will hear the voice of our supplication!

For He hath inclined His ear unto me,
and in my days will I call upon Him.

He has inclined, He has bent toward us. He has approached us to hear our prayers like when we speak to one another closely and we move in to hear better. We will call upon Him because He has invited us to do so. Ask. Seek. Knock. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." He will lean in to hear your every word and thought.

The pangs of death have encompassed me,
the perils of hades have found me.
Tribulation and sorrow have I found,
and I called upon the name of the Lord: O Lord, deliver my soul.

Life in this broken world besets us with troubles of all kinds. The pangs of death are in every ache, every illness. The perils of hades swarm like biting flies in the constant barage of media around us. Tribulation and sorrow find us, and we find them, without even looking. The blessing in these troubles is that they drive us into the arms of Him Who Hears and we cry "O Lord! Deliver my soul!"

Merciful is the Lord and righteous,
and our God hath mercy.

And when we cry, He hears and has mercy. We are born in sins: He washes us in Baptism. We sin: He gives us confession and absolution. We weaken in our fervor: He gives us His body and blood to forgive and revive us. He gives us every good and perfect gift, because our God hath mercy. Even the trials are a gift because they are opportunities for growth in Him. "This was needed for my salvation."

The Lord preserveth the infants;
I was brought low and He saved me.

We must have faith like a child, and the Lord preserves us. When we are troubled, He looks at His children in danger and scoops them up in His arms.

Return, O my soul, unto thy rest,
for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.
For He hath delivered my soul from death,
mine eyes from tears, and my feet from sliding.
I will be well-pleasing before the Lord in the land of the living.

We can return to our rest in God because He hath regarded the lowliness of all His children and has had mercy as he promised. He said "He who believes in Me will never NEVER die!" He will wipe away every tear from our eye. He will preserve our coming out and our going in. We are well-pleasing before the Lord, because He has made us so. Let us cling to Him alone. Let us hate evil, for this is the fear of the Lord. Let us recieve His gifts as often as we can. Let us fight to stay near Him, to keep our garments clean and to live out our days in a way that is well-pleasing to Him because He continues to hear us and forgive us and embrace us and call us back to Himself.

Glory to God for His unfathomable love!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbearable Burden of Raising a Child with Down Syndrome

Israel, the Church, The New Israel, Replacement Theology, Judah, The People of God, and So On...

Christmas Conceptions and Nativity Notions