A Challenging Lent Suggestion

“Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,  so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven.”
Matthew 5

“In humility count others more significant than yourselves.”
Philippians 2



Inspired by Father Barnabas Powell, St. Macarius the Great, and, of course, the Scriptures, I offer this encouragement to my fellow Christians as a sort of “Lenten Challenge.”

Ash Wednesday is this week, March 6, for Western Christians, and the first day of Lent for Eastern Christians is Monday, March 11.

Lent, as you know, is a time of repentance and preparation for the events of Holy Week and, ultimately,  Easter or Pascha. Traditionally, whether Eastern or Western, Christians have utilized certain tools to aid them in their repentant preparation: Fasting, Prayer, and Alms-giving. However, the fathers of the church have said that observing a fast to the strict letter of the law is worthless if we still harbor anger, resentment, and other vices when it comes to our fellow man.

Hence, this message for you. I ask you, encourage you, I challenge you to take up the following discipline and prayer for the whole of Lent:
When you hear or see something terrible on Facebook or other media, when the TV news is horrible, when you experience something bad directly at the hands of another person, whenever these things happen and you begin to feel in your gut that rising feeling that always happens, stop it. Take a deep breath to loosen the tightening stomach, and arrest the angry thought before it takes shape. Simply say to yourself “that is not allowed here.”  then say the following prayer:

O Lord, I believe that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God who came into the world to save sinners, of whom *I* am chief. I recognize from Your Scriptures that all people are created in the image of God. But as one ill with the sickness of sin, I also recognize the symptoms of my disease, and I fear for my neighbor.
I pray Lord, have mercy on [specific person/group]. Deliver [him/her/them] from the influence and attack of the evil one and his demons. Shine forth Your light upon [him/her/them] and dispel the shadows of sin and evil. Let [him/her/them] hear the truth of Your Gospel, grant them repentance unto faith and ultimately, life everlasting. Forgive [them] all their sins, and forgive me also, Lord, for I am Your sinful and unprofitable servant, and to You I offer all glory, honor, and worship, together with Your Father Who is without beginning, and Your All-Holy, Good, and Live-giving Spirit, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Now, what if you're in traffic and someone cut you off? Take a deep breath, stop the cursing thought, and say a shorter prayer:
Lord have mercy on that guy and protect them and those around him, that we all arrive safely.

I challenge you, and it will be challenging, to practice this throughout Lent. Take control of yourself and your thoughts. Draw near to God. See His creatures with His love. Be saddened by the effects of sin in your brothers and sisters, not angry, and direct your displeasure toward the “principalities and powers” against which we fight. Never confuse the person created in God's image with the sin with which they are afflicted.

I'd wager that if you give it a good try, it might change your life and the way you see others. I'm going to try. Come with me.

With love,
Brother Arsenios

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unbearable Burden of Raising a Child with Down Syndrome

Israel, the Church, The New Israel, Replacement Theology, Judah, The People of God, and So On...

Christmas Conceptions and Nativity Notions